Skip to main content


21st February 2023

Author - Sarah Huckstep-Fagg

4 certificates to help sell your house

With the sale of a house there is so much to remember, especially the seemingly endless amount of paperwork! Our list of important certificates you will need to obtain will help assist you in the resale process and hopefully make this part of your journey smoother.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is built, sold or rented. You must order an EPC for potential buyers and tenants before you market your property to sell or rent.

An EPC contains information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs

recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money. An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years. Listed buildings do not require an EPC. You can ask your estate agent to recommend a qualified assessor if you don’t have an EPC or follow this link:

FENSA certificates
A FENSA certificate is your assurance that the installer who fitted your windows or doors has complied with Building Regulations. It also means that your installation(s) will have been registered with the LocalCouncil. These are legal requirements and proof of them is essential when selling your home. If you have trouble finding your documentation, you can find and order your FENSA certificate online here:

Electrical certificate
Part P of the Building Regulations 2006 (amended 2013)requires that all electrical work is installed to a safe standard. This includes ensuring that the work allows for safe operation, maintenance or alteration in future. To make sure all electrical work meets this standard, local authorities usually require that works are certified within 30 days of completion.

It is important that potential buyers are able to see your electrical safety certificate as this can act as an assurance for them that the property is safe. This can speed up the property sale time, as they will not need to carry out their own inspection. The cost of an electrical installation condition report will change depending on the size of a property.

If you can’t find your electrical certificates you could redo the EIC by contacting the electrician who did the work originally. The electrician may be able to complete an EIC for the work. Alternatively, the electrician may be able to redo the work and submit a new EIC for it. Or if you cannot reach your original electrician, or they’re unable to redo the work or issue an EIC, you can get a certified electrician to carry out an ElectricalInstallation Condition Report (EICR) instead. An EICR is not a substitute for the original EIC, but the EICR should reassure potential buyers. Local authorities may also accept the report in place of an EIC as evidence that the work is compliant.

Completion certificates
A completion certificate is your proof that building work has been inspected by building control and is safe. If you’ve done any structural works, such as changing pipes or services, you should present the buyer with a completion certificate which meets building regulations. Failure to do so may deter a buyer, as without a certificate, their ability to get a mortgage on the property, or buildings insurance, may be affected. When it comes to selling your home, building work that comes with a completion certificate will help make the process less problematic – allowing you to move swiftly on and start a new life elsewhere!

If a certificate has been lost, a copy can be obtained from the local authority, although a fee may be payable. Where minor works are carried out to a property, a certificate may be issued by a tradesperson under the competent persons schemes.

‍As well as these more formal certificates we think it’s a nice touch to leave:

Boiler servicing record / warranty

Warranties / guarantees and instruction manuals for appliances

Bin Collection Information

Colour charts with existing paint colours

Chimney Sweep Certificate (If appropriate)

And even some takeaway menus for your buyer to help them out when they first move in!

Categories: New Homes

The Property Ombudsman Logo
Arla Propertymark Protected Logo
naea propertymark Commercial Logo
Rightmove Logo
Zoopla Logo
ICO Logo
On The Market Logo
Client Money Protect Logo

Subscribe to our email list!

Get the latest updates, exclusive property listings, and expert advice. Don't miss out – sign up to our newsletter today!